Norman times, Wakefield was held by the de
Warennes, the Earls of Surrey. Their first castle in the area was at
Lowe Hill in Thornes Park, Wakefield. (2)
However, by 1157, they had moved from Wakefield to a stronger position
overlooking the River Calder, two miles (about 3km) further south at Sandal
Magna. The original wooden
at Sandal Castle
were replaced by a major stone castle during three generations of the de Warennes
from the late 12th century onwards. Construction work continued for the
next hundred years.
Now only a few stones
and earthworks remain, but, in past times the castle was an impressive
site - although much smaller than the castle at Pontefract in the Wakefield District.
THE DE WARENNES
William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey (1081–1138) was granted the Sandal estates in 1107. He built the first Sandal Castle of timber. He supported Robert Curthose (the eldest son of William the Conqueror) against Henry I (Robert's brother) and was banished from the kingdom for two years. Later he was given the Manor of Wakefield.
William de Warenne, 3rd Earl of Surrey (1119–1148) spent little of his time at Sandal, having taken crusading vows and joined the Second Crusade. He had one daughter, Isabel de Warenne (1137–1199), who married William of Blois, son of King Stephen, who became the 4th earl.
William of Blois died in 1159 having no children. Isabel, his widow, next married Hamelin (1129–1202), the 5th earl. He was the son of Geoffrey of Anjou (Geoffrey the Fair, enter the Plantagenets) and assumed the Warenne name on his marriage in 1164. Hamelin is thought to have built the early Norman stone fortifications at Conisbrough Castle and also begun to replace the wooden fortifications at Sandal with stone.
William de Warenne, 5th Earl of Surrey (1166–1240), Hamelin's son, married Maud Marshal in 1225. He was loyal to his cousin, King John and is one of the four nobles whose name appears in the Magna Carta for John, and on his death in 1216 he supported his the king's son, Henry III.
William's widow, Maud, held the Manor of Wakefield from 1240 after his death to 1252, when their son John de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey (1231–1304), came of age. John married Alice de Lusignan in 1247.
In 1296 the 6th Earl was appointed Warden for Scotland by Edward I and in 1299, the Earl and his royal master were triumphant over the Scots at the Battle of Falkirk.
John's son, William de Warrene (1256–1286) was killed at a tournament in Croydon pre-deceasing his father, and so he did not live to become an earl, of course.
William's son, John de Warenne, 7th Earl of Surrey (1286–1347) was born in the year of his father's death. John married Joan of Bar but lived adulterously with Maud de Nereford from a village near Castle Acre in Norfolk.
In 1347, the 7th Earl died, probably from the Black Death. His sons John and Thomas became Knights Hospitaller in the Holy Land, predeceasing their mother. The lands passed to King Edward III.
The Warennes had castles at Lewes and Reigate in Sussex, Castle Acre in Norfolk and Conisborough in Yorkshire.
In the reign of Edward III, Edward Baliol resided here, while an army
was raised to establish him on the throne of Scotland.
Edward III granted
the Manor of Wakefield, including the castle, to
his fourth son
of Langley, Earl of
Later, when Edward III's grandson was king
(Richard II), Edmund played an important role in the affairs of state.
For his services, Richard II created him Duke of York in 1385. Edmund,
Duke of York died in 1402 but the Manor of Wakefield remained in the House
of York and Richard Plantagenet inherited it in 1415.
The Battle of Wakefield
in 1460 took place on Wakefield
Green between the castle and Wakefield Bridge. The castle was not damaged in the battle.
No major work seems
to have taken place between 1361 until 1484/5 when Richard III ordered
work to commence to make the castle suitable for use as a royal base in
the North. After the death of Richard III at Bosworth Field in 1485, its importance
began to diminish and it ceased to be a royal residence.
Until the reign of
Henry VIII it was still an administrative centre but this ceased when
the administration of the Manor of Wakefield was moved to Moot Hall.
The castle was leased
to a number of tenants until it ended up with Sir John Savile in 1586.
In 1619 the lease passed to Sir Thomas Savile. In 1636, the Crown sold
the castle to Frances Nevile. From 1600 to 1645 the castle was seemingly
unoccupied - not even looked after by a resident constable.
By 1564 the castle was already in a poor state of repair and was well into decline
before the Civil War once again brought it into service. This drawing was made circa 1560. 
Civil War. The last
siege it sustained was in the Civil War when Colonel Bonivant held it
for King Charles I, and surrendered to the Parliamentary forces on 1st
October, 1645, after a few months of occupancy. In keeping with the hard
line adopted by Parliament, it was dismantled in 1646 and has remained
a sad ruin to this day.
In 1765 the castle passed from the Nevile family to the Pilkingtons - a local
family - when Sir Lionel Pilkington bought the Chevet Estate. The estate
included a chapel in the Church of St. Helen in Sandal Magna.
The castle ruins in 1722
■ "The South Prospect of the Ruins of Sandal Castle; and the Town of Wakefield, 1722.
Copper-Plate engraving by Samuel & Nathaniel Buck, published London 1722.
became involved with the Watertons in the nineteenth century when, together, they fought a legal battle
against the pollution caused by Simpson's Soap House in Walton.
the castle was leased to Wakefield Corporation and was subsequently bought
by the City in 1954.
The overgrown ruins
were excavated between 1964 and 1973 to reveal that, although still a
ruin, there was a lot hidden underneath the rubble and soil.
In April 2001, it
was announced that a visitor centre would be built and improvements to
the castle site made. The castle and the Battle of Wakefield could become
a significant tourist attraction for Wakefield. Click here to read the newspaper cutting.
To find out more about Sandal Castle, visit the official website of the City of Wakefield (search for 'sandal').