The Huddersfield Broad Canal began life in the 18th century. It runs between the Huddersfield Narrow Canal in the centre of Huddersfield to the Calder and Hebble Navigation at Cooper Bridge.
The Huddersfield Broad Canal was originally known as the Cooper Canal, as it branched off the Calder and Hebble Navigation at Cooper Bridge. It was later known as Sir John Ramsden's Canal, after the local Lord of the Manor and main land-owner. It later became known as the Broad Canal to distinguish it from the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.
It was opened in 1776 and was the major transportation link for the textile industry in Huddersfield, bringing in coal and shipping out finished textiles.
Possibly the most feature on the canal is the lift bridge at Quay Street, Huddersfield. Until recently this was windlass-operated although it is now electric. Despite being a lift bridge, it is known as Turnbridge. It is also known as Locomotive Bridge, perhaps due to its a similarity to early steam locomotives.
[Information from Pennine Waterways]