Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Canals & Navigations | Canals & Navigations | Leeds & Liverpool Canal |
LEEDS & LIVERPOOL CANAL - SHIPLEY TO BINGLEY
Leeds and Liverpool Canal
Site Main Menu
In this section
Main Page
Leeds Central
Leeds - Calverley
Calverley - Shipley
Shipley - Bingley
Bingley - Silsden
Silsden - Skipton

See also
Neighbours section
Leeds
Idle
Titus Salt (in Crofton section)

Overtown.org.uk
Photographs of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Shipley to Bingley section,
including Saltaire .
Click to enlarge.Shipley, Gallows Bridge (207D)
View of the Visitors' Moorings.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Airedale Greenway
Click image to view a map (PDF) published by the Airedale Partnership in 2009.
Click to enlarge.Shipley, near Otley Road Bridge (207C), canal-side buildings.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Shipley, Wharf Street, the Waterside Restaurant and moorings at Shipley Wharf.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.National Cycle Network milepost at Shipley: Skipton 16 miles and 13 miles to Leeds.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Shipley Wharf. From the west looking downstream in the direction of Leeds.
[2011]
Saltaire Lion
Saltaire Visitor Moorings

Click to enlarge.Saltaire, created by Titus Salt. View in the direction of Shipley.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.The canal at Saltaire, with impressive 19th century buildings on both banks.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Salt's Mill.

■ Another view of Salt's Mill.

Click to enlarge.Sir Titus Salt, Bart.
In 1852 Thomas William Appleton started a photographic business in partnership with Henry Berlon in Bradford Thomas, and later with Richard James Appleton. They photographed some important people in Bradford, including Titus Salt.
Click to enlarge.Saltaire United Reform Church, viewed from Saltaire Metro Railway Station. [2006] Click to enlarge.Saltare United Reform Church, Victoria Road, near the canal.
[2011]

■ Another view of this fine building.

Click to enlarge.Shipley Providence Cricket Club, Saltaire.
[2011]

Click to enlarge.The weir on the River Aire at Saltaire.
[2014]
Click to enlarge.The canal at Saltaire.
[2014]
Click to enlarge.Hirst Lock (No. 19) at Saltaire, near Hirst Lane.
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
List entry Number: 1314200. [site accessed 8 Feb 2017]
Click to enlarge.Hirst Lock, looking downstream.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Hirst Mill Swing Bridge (207).
Hirst Lane, Saltaire.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Seven Arches Aqueduct, Dowley Gap.
Listed building, list entry number: 1133357.
[site accessed 8 Feb 2017]
Click to enlarge.Dowley Gap Bridge (No. 206).
Listed building, list entry number: 1133358. [site accessed 8 Feb 2017]
Click to enlarge.Dowley Gap
Two Rise Staircase Locks
.
These locks were built around 1773 raise the level of the canal a total of about 6 metres (20 feet). They are nationally important structures listed as grade II* for their architectural and historic interest.
Canal & River Trust.
[site accessed 8 Feb 2017]
Click to enlarge.Dowley Gap Bridge viewed from the locks.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Dowley Gap Locks looking towards Scourer Bridge.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Scourer Bridge (No. 205).
Listed building, list entry number: 1133360.
[site accessed 8 Feb 2017]
:
Click to enlarge.Bingley, alongside Bingley Relief Road, approaching Ferncliffe Road.
[2011]
Click to enlarge.Bingley, alongside Bingley Relief Road, looking downstream. [2011]
Click to enlarge.Bingley, canalside apartments.
[2011]
■ Continue the trail through Bingley and on to Silsden.

Click to enlarge.The coat of arms of Bingley Urban District Council.
Bingley was incorporated into the City of Bradford Metropolitan District in 1974. It now has a town council, equivalent to a civil parish council.

Official blazon
Arms: Per chevron Argent and Vert in chief two Trefoils slipped Sable and in base a Fleece Or on a Chief Gules a Millrind Gold between two Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper.
Crest: Issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a Bear's Head Argent muzzled Gules; Mantled Vert doubled Or.
Motto: 'OPES INDUSTRIA PARIT' - Industry begets plenty.
Origin/meaning
The arms were officially granted on September 10, 1956.
The black trefoils derive from the arms of the Bingley family, previously used by the UDC. The fleece and millrind allude to the woollen and engineering industries and the white roses are for Yorkshire.
The muzzled bear is also from the crest of the Bingley family, differenced by the addition of a Saxon crown. Source for Coat of Arms information: Heraldry of the World. [site accessed 8 Feb 2017]

Canal and River Trust

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Route Diagram






LEEDS & LIVERPOOL CANAL - SHIPLEY TO BINGLEY
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |