Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton, Wakefield, West Yorkshire | Walton | Around the Village |
WALTON - MIDDLE WALTON
Picture Gallery Page 2 | Gallery Page 1 |
Site Main Menu
Principal pages in this section
Around the Village (Map)
Middle Walton Page 1
Middle Walton Page 2
New Inn
Library
St. Paul's Church
Grove House Farm
Methodist Church
War Memorial
The Grove

 

Walton Districts for the purposes of this site
Woodyard & Chevet
Oakenshaw Lane
Manor Estate
Lowtown
Middle Walton
West
(Oakenshaw & Common Lane)
Overtown & South
East (Brooklands, Cherry Tree, Elmwood)
Walton Hall & Park
(Waterton Park)

Map of Districts
Interactive Map


Overtown.org.uk
Click on the images below to enlarge.
Click to enlarge Walton House (not to be confused with Walton Hall) was built in the 18th century probably for Elias Wright. In 1849 the house was bought by Charles Waterton the Naturalist. Later, after the Squire's death, the house was acquired by his old adversaries, the Simpsons of Hodgson & Simpson soap manufacturing fame, who had also bought Walton Hall.
For much of the time the house was occupied by a succession of tenants. In 1953, the house was bought by the local council and became a care home for the elderly. In the 1990s the house was sold and is now a privately run care home and is known as Walton Manor.
[13rd July 2002]

This is a Grade II listed building. Read more on Images of England. IoE Number: 342345,
Location: WALTON HOUSE, 187 SHAY LANE.
Click to enlargeThe Old Police Yard, Shay Lane, Walton. Derelict for some years, now a development opportunity! Planning consent has been granted under application number 10/01726/FUL.

Guide Price £425,000 to £435,000* (formerly around £495,000), so, if this is for you, read the for sale sign or visit the FSL web page.
[14 Jan 2014]

* This scruffy plot of land was shown at this price on the FSL web site on 29 May 2017.

Click to enlargeArt in the old Police Yard, now up for sale (the yard not the art).
[16 Nov 2013]

Click to enlargeShay Lane, looking eastwards, at the junction of The Balk and Shay Lane, showing the old post office. Possibly early 1900s.
[old postcard]

Click to enlargeShay Lane, looking westwards from the War Memorial. The distinctive former village post office is still very much with us.
[21st February 2010]
Click to enlargeShay Lane, looking eastwards, at the junction of The Balk and Shay Lane, possibly early 1900s. Similar to the photograph above. [old postcard]
Click to enlargeThe old post office in Shay Lane, from an old post card.
Click to enlargeSchool Lane, looking clean and crisp.
[21st February 2010]
Click to enlargeLooking towards Lower Town, School Lane before the 1960s. The Village Institute is on the right, later it would become the village library and, eventually, a private residence. Off to the left is Thornhill House. The house was demolished in the 1950s to make way for the Thornhill Estate.
Click to enlarge.Thornhill Drive, viewed from School Lane. [2013]

Thornhill House, demolished to make way for the Thornhill estate, was once home* to Daniel Burton Kendell, the senior physician at Wakefield Dispensary, he retired about 1862. He was also a J.P. for Yorkshire. (* Occupancy recorded as 1897.) Biographical History of Gonville and Caius College†, 1349-1897 . By John Venn, 1834-1923. Published 1897.
(† Part of Cambridge University).

Dr. Kendell was a significant landowner in Sproatley, near Kingston-upon-Hull.
Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892).
He is also listed in The County Families of the United Kingdom; or, Royal Manual of the Titled and Untitled Aristocracy of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. By Edward Walford (1823-1897. Published 1892

There were, of course, other residents at Thornhill House over the years of its existence, e.g. Edward Thornhill Simpson,of Thornhill House, married Emily Jane Cartwright of Sandal on 25 April 1866 at St. Helen's Church, Sandal Magna.

Click to enlargeThe Balk - view towards Shay Lane.
[01 Jun 2008]
Click to enlargeThe Balk, towards Shay Lane, before houses were built along the lefthand side of the road. Since this photgraph was taken, Lakeland Way, High Meadows and Oaklands Croft have been built. The Balk still remains an attractive road with its avenue of trees still much in evidence, although some have been felled.
[old postcard]
Click to enlargeThe Balk at its junction with Shay Lane. The building was once the village post office, it features in several more photographs on this page.
[19 Feb 2005]
Click to enlargeAnother view of the junction of The Balk and Shay Lane, this time probably from the early 1900s.
[old postcard]
Click to enlargeHigh Meadows, enjoying the last of the evening sunshine in August.
Click to enlargeThe Balk from its junction with Lakeland Way. The picture was taken shortly before 10.00 am.
[21st February 2010]
Click to enlargeLakeland Way area.
Farmland backing onto Langdale Mount and Kendal Rise, viewed from Walton Footpath No. 5.
[2015]
Click to enlargeOld Farmland
The Balk photographed in the 1940s. The farmland belonged to Overtown Grange Farm. Some of the land is now built upon. The farm itself is still a working farm. The houses in the picture are still there; they have been joined by more, of course.
[source not known]
Click to enlargeThe Grove House Farm estate consists of a small number of houses in a cul-de-sac, between High Meadows and Castle Terrace, off The Balk. Click here for more pictures.  
Click to enlargeCastle Cottages (or Terrace), The Balk. These attractive cottages were built around 1880. View in the direction of Shay Lane.
[old postcard]
Click to enlargeCastle Terrace, viewed in the direction of Walton Hall. The first house once served as a men's barber and Miss Pilkington had a house in the middle as an orphanage.
[old postcard]

Click to enlargeCastle Terrace just in time for a White Christmas.
[4th December 2009]

Click to enlargeCastle Terrace, close-up.
[24th December 2009]

Click to enlargeThe Avenue
The Balk at the junction with the Avenue (once, it was a tree-lined avenue) to Walton Hall. A grass track, now overgrown, leads off to the left to the boundary fence between the golf club's driving range and the former farmland off The Grove.
[28 Aug 2011]

The temporary access (for 5 years) to the Grove Farm development ('Land off the Grove') is between the stone wall and the white fence. More information about the planning applications can be found on The Grove page.

The Balk, junction with the Avenue to Walton Hall.The same junction looking towards the section of the Balk that turns right towards Sike Lane. This southern stretch, 'round the bend', was once known as High Field Lane as it led to the High Field south of Overtown and Rose Farm.
[January 2017]

Off to the right, this stretch of the Balk is referred to as Highfield Lane on older maps; the name seems to have fallen out of common usage by the 1890s. The lane was so named because it led to the High Field up the hill from Swine Dike and Rose Farm.


The HOW Project

A History of Walton, Peter Wright
A History of Walton,
Peter Wright


A Pictorial History of Walton, Alan Bowers
A Pictorial History of Walton, Wakefield.
Alan Bowers


Click to enlarge
The Walton Millennium CD.
If you can track down a copy, it contains photographs and other titbits relating to the village.


Walton in 1971
Walton in 1971
YouTube video
WALTON - MIDDLE WALTON Picture Gallery Page 2
| ^top | Page 1 |


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |