St. Paul's Church, The Balk [unofficial site]
St. Paul's Church provides services to the local community with events such as the very successful 'Holiday at Home', and the Barnabas Rooms are also used by other organisations and private functions.
• Contact the parish office at St. Helen's, Sandal Magna, for more information about services at the church and information about hiring the Barnabas Rooms.
St. Paul's was dedicated in 1898 by the Bishop of Wakefield. It owes
its existence to the generosity of Mr Edward Simpson, who provided the land and materials for the construction of the
church. It was made of prefabricated corrugated iron sheets built in
London. The present building was erected in 1967.
Various local community activities take place at the church.
St. Paul's is part of the Anglican Parish of Sandal Magna.
St. Paul's and the Barnabas Rooms. 
The notice board near the War Memorial.
The church photographed in May 2000,
before the Barnabas Rooms
and car park were added. Click on the picture for a fuller view.
View towards the altar. [11th January 2013]
The bench at St. Paul's,
presented by the Walton Village Association in 1990.
The bench, if not the W.V.A.,
is still with us.
The Sun was smiling down on the
Service of Devotion on Good Friday 2011
in the bailey at Sandal Castle. [22nd April 2011]
On top of the motte at Sandal Castle,
the culmination of the
Service of Devotion
on Good Friday 2011. [22nd April 2011]
St. Paul's 1898 - 1965.
A woodcut picture of the previous church building. [artist unknown]
This photograph of the original church
was taken around 1905.
St. Paul's 1967 - 2001 [artist not known]
St. Paul's 1967 - 2001 [another painting by the unknown artist]
The Birth of St Paul's
In 1897 to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Mr Edward Simpson of Walton Hall, provided the land and materials for a new church in The Balk. Constructed from prefabricated corrugated iron sheets on wooden frames, built in London, the church was dedicated on the 10 January 1898, by the Bishop of Wakefield, the Rt Rev Dr Eden. The Bishop preached on Isaiah 55:10 "Seed to the sower, bread to the eater", on the need to provide for present use and to make provision for the future. The interior was painted dark grey with pale green walls, the screen and pulpit being dark brown.
It had a vestry, organ and bell and was lighted by gas. The roof was originally red, but weathered to black.
The building served the community for many years, only being replaced in 1967 by a fine new structure, which echoes the shape of the original building, having been built around it.
Services have been held regularly by the Vicar, Curates, Lay Readers and Lay People.
There has also been many years of good fellowship with the Walton Pantomime and dedicated service to the village.
For many years the Village Hall built in 1913 was the Sunday School and in 1948 it was recorded that 70 children belonged to the Sunday School and used to attend St Paul's on the 3rd Sunday in the month for a family service.
A centenary celebration needs to look forward in anticipation as well as backwards in thanksgiving, and I can do no better than outline the vision for the church that came out of an Evening of Prayer and Vision held on 29 October 1996. Our four objectives are:-
1. to foster collaboration with the Methodist Church
2. to cater for families and young people aged 0-11
3. to reach out into the community in new and creative ways
4. to review existing facilities and to consider prayerfully fresh extension plans
Our centenary plans include opportunities to look back in gratitude for 100 years of worship, mission and service to St Paul's and to build the mission for the next 100 years, whilst remaining faithful to our Lord's Commission and to the example of St Paul, who wrote in his letter to the Philippians Chapter 4 verse 13: " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
The Birth of St. Paul's Church, from the Walton Parish Council Newsletter, Summer 2000. Walton Parish Council is a local government body that represents the Civil Parish of Walton.
St. Paul's Church is in the Anglican Parish of Sandal Magna.
OUR CHURCH HERITAGE
Those aficionados of Sunday night television may well have been enjoying The White Queen on BBC1. The series highly features the Neville family; the Duchess Cecily mother of Edward lV, her nephew Earl of Warwick “The Kingmaker”, and his daughters Isabel and Anne who married Edward’s brothers. The Neville family have two connections with our Parish. Duchess Cecily lost her husband, Richard Duke of York, her son Edmond Earl of Rutland, and her brother Richard Neville Earl of Salisbury (father of Warwick) at the Battle of Wakefield in 1460.
The second connection is that a distant branch of the Neville family lived in our Parish, at Chevet Hall before the Pilkingtons. Sir John Neville inherited Chevet though his marriage to Elizabeth Bosville in 1509. He was 7th cousin once removed from Edward IV both being descended from Sir Geoffrey de Neville who lived at Raby Castle in the early
13th century. (1)
Further to the article in last July's issue of grapevine (above) which showed how the Nevilles in the TV programme the White Queen where distantly connected to our Church. Well we have another connection to the Neville family, In the corner where the choir sings and band plays there is a remnant of the old pews that used to be in our Church. On a closer look you will notice a coat or arms. This belongs to Josceline Percy 1480-1532, son of the 4th Earl of Northumberland who married Margaret Frost of Featherstone. Josceline's great grandmother was Eleanor Neville (1397-1472) sister of Cecily Neville, Duchess of York. This makes him first cousin twice removed of Edward IV and Richard III and so a distant cousin of the Nevilles of Chevet Hall.
Josceline's son Edward married Elizabeth Waterton of Walton Hall and their son Thomas was a leader in the Gunpowder Plot. He died following an altercation with Crown forces in November 1605. There are members of the Percy family living in New Zealand who claim legitimate decent from Thomas and so claim they are the true Earls of Northumberland.
From grapevine, the newsletter of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Sandal Magna,
St. Helen's, Sandal, and St. Paul's, Walton.
1. July/August 2013.
2. March 2014.
St. Paul's and the Barnabas Rooms continue to be a popular venue
for events and activities.
From the archives
A 1940's Charity Night held on 6th November 2009 at St Paul's Church, the Balk, Walton, in aid of St Paul's Church and Yorkshire Air Ambulance raised £513 from the sale of tickets and donations.
A further collection on the night raised another £81 for the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.