Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton's Neighbours
| Walton's Neighbours - and further afield in Yorkshire |
BARNSLEY
Site Main Menu

In the Neighbours section

West Yorkshire (Wakefield) Anglers Country Park
Calder Wetlands
Chevet
Crofton
Featherstone
Felkirk
Hare Park Junction
Horbury Lagoons
Newmillerdam
Normanton
Nostell Priory
Oakenshaw Colliery, Crofton
Old Royston
Pugneys Country Park
Ryhill
Sandal Magna
Wakefield
Yorkshire Sculpture Park

West Yorkshire (other)
Idle
Leeds

North Yorkshire
Kellingley Colliery

South Yorkshire
Barnsley
Monckton Main & Royston Drift Mines
Rabbit Ings
Sheffield



Overtown.org.uk
Click on the images to enlarge.

Click to enlargeBarnsley Coat-of-Arms as shown on the gates of Locke Park. Motto : 'SPECTEMUR AGENDO' - Judge us by our actions.
[photograph 2016]

Barnsley is a former industrial town centred on coal mining and glass making (reflected in the coat-of-arms). These industries went into decline in the 20th century.
It is also home of the Barnsley chop.

■ See more pictures in the Barnsley Canal section on this website.

~~~

■ Heraldry of the World, Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom. [site accessed 18 Jul 2016]
■ Civic Heraldry of England and Wales. [site accessed 18 Jul 2016]
■ Barnsley on Wikipedia.
[site accessed 18 Jul 2016]
(external links)

Click to enlargeJoseph Locke & Locke Park
The bandstand in Locke Park, Barnsley.

The bandstand is a Grade II listed building.


Locke's widow, Phoebe, had given High Stile Field to the town on 24 April 1861 to be a park in memory of her husband. Originally named People’s Park, it was opened with some pomp and ceremony on 10th June 1862.

The park features a statue of Locke and a folly, 'Locke Park Tower'.

Locke Park is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by English Heritage for its special historic interest.
Grade: II. List entry Number: 1001518.

[photographed 2016]

■ Friends of Locke Park.
[site accessed 19 Jul 2016]

Click to enlargeThe statue of Joseph Locke in Locke Park, Barnsley.

Joseph Locke (9 August 1805 – 18 September 1860) was an English civil engineer, particularly associated with railway projects.
Locke ranked alongside Robert Stephenson and Isambard Kingdom Brunel as one of the major pioneers of railway development.
Locke's greatest legacy is the modern day West Coast Main Line (WCML), which was formed by the joining of the Caledonian, Lancaster & Carlisle, and Grand Junction railways to Robert Stephenson's London & Birmingham Railway. As a result, around three-quarters of the WCML's route was planned and engineered by Locke.

A Yorkshire lad, Locke was born in Attercliffe, Sheffield, moving to nearby Barnsley when he was five years of age.

The statue was designed by Baron Marochetti and unveiled by Lord Alfred Paget on 18 January 1866.
[2016]
■ Joseph Locke on Wikipedia. [site accessed 19 Jul 2016]

Click to enlargeCentre Piece of Dinner Service belonging to Sir Daniel Gooch, 1872.
The piece features those three railway legends: Joseph Locke, George Stephenson and Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Presiding over all of this is Muse, representing invention and achievement. Gooch, himself, was a significant figure in the development of the railways in Britain.
Visit the National Railway Musem, York to get a better view of this piece and, of course, discover much more about our railway heritage.
[2016]

■ National Railway Musem, York.
[site accessed 19 Jul 2016]

Click to enlargeLocke Park Tower, a 'folly' in the park.
In 1874, Phoebe Locke's sister, Sarah McCreery, donated a further 21 acres (c 8.5ha) of land, doubling the area of the park, now known as Locke Park, and this extension was opened on 7 August 1877. Within this phase, Locke Park Tower was erected in memory of Phoebe Locke who died in London in December 1866.

More photographs of the tower
■ Close-up view.
■ Detail (1).
■ Detail (2).

[Text - principal source: Historic England Locke Park, accessed 24 Jul 2016]
[2016]

Click to enlargeLocke Park - the fountain and a pleasant walk.

More pictures of this area below.
[2016]

Click to enlargeLocke Park Quarry, from an old postcard, early 20th century.

Click to enlargeLocke Park - a fountain of flowers.

The fountain was presented to Miss McCreery as a testimonial by the working men of Barnsley in 1877. Early photographs show the fountain with decorative urns on small plinths punctuating the surrounding wall of the bottom pool. Much of the detail of the fountain has weathered, and the small urns are missing.
[Text - principal source: Historic England Locke Park, accessed 24 Jul 2016]

[2016]

Click to enlargeLocke Park - sports field and children's play area.
[2016]
Click to enlargeThe ornamental drinking fountain in Locke Park. The fountain was erected by subscription in 1859 and originally stood in Peel Square. The architects were William Senior & John Wade. It was moved to the park in 1866.
[Text - principal source: Historic England Locke Park, accessed 24 Jul 2016]
More photographs of the park
■ North Lodge and ornamental gates.
■ South Lodge and Park View.
 
Click to enlargeMiners' Offices, Huddersfield Road, Barnsley. The headquarters of the National Union of Mineworkers.
[2016]
Click to enlargeMonument erected by members of the Yorkshire Miners' Association commemorating past worthies of the association.
William Parrott (General and Corresponding Secretary), John Dixon (Financial Secretary), John Wadsworth (General and Corresponding Secretary) and Samuel Roebuck (General Secretary).
■ Click here for more information about these men.
Click to enlargeMore past officers of the Yorkshire Miners' Association commemorated on the monument. Edward Cowey (President), Benjamin Pickard, M.P. Hallamshire (General and Corresponding Secretary), John Frith (Financial Secretary), Samuel Broadhead (Treasurer) and John Normansell (General Secretary). Enlarge the picture to read more information about these men.
Click to enlargeMemorial depicting a miner and his family.
The inscription reads:
'In memory of those who have lost their lives in supporting their union in times of struggle'.
[2016]

Click to enlargeOaks Colliery Mining Disaster, 1866.
As reported in the Illustrated London News, 29th December 1866.

The pit was at Stairfoot, Barnsley.
It was the the largest coal mining disaster in England.
It was thought that the explosions killed 361 men and boys, based on an estimate of 340 working below ground in the first explosion (with six survivors) and 27 rescuers being killed on 13 December.

A 2016 volunteer research project by the Dearne Valley Landscape Partnership has produced a list of 383 individual names. The ages of those killed ranges from 10 to 67.

Oaks Explosion on Wikipedia.
Oaks Colliery, Healey Hero.
[sites accessed 24 Jul 2016]

Click to enlargeOaks Colliery Mining Disaster, 1866, Memorial Appeal.

Banner outside the Miners' Offices marking the 150th anniversary of the disaster.

   
Click to enlargeBarnsley Markets. Barnsley's famous market is over 700 years old and has over 300 stalls located in both indoor and outdoor areas. Find out more on Barnsley Council Online.
[2012]
Click to enlargeEldon Street, an imposing corner location for the Yorkshire Building Society.
[2012]
Click to visit West Yorkshire Metro
Click to visit Travel South Yorkshire





BARNSLEY
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |