Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton's Neighbours | Walton's Neighbours |
LEEDS - MAIN PAGE
Site Main Menu

In the Neighbours section

West Yorkshire (Wakefield) Anglers Country Park
Calder Wetlands
Chevet
Crofton
Featherstone
Felkirk
Hare Park Junction
Horbury Lagoons
Newmillerdam
Normanton
Nostell Priory
Oakenshaw Colliery, Crofton
Old Royston
Pugneys Country Park
Ryhill
Sandal Magna
Wakefield
Yorkshire Sculpture Park

West Yorkshire (other)
Idle
Leeds

North Yorkshire
Kellingley Colliery

South Yorkshire
Barnsley
Monckton Main & Royston Drift Mines
Rabbit Ings
Sheffield


Overtown.org.uk
Click to enlargeThe Black Prince in Leeds City Square.
[click image to enlarge]
This large equestrian sculpture of the Prince was created in 1903 by Thomas Brock. The statue was donated to the city by Colonel Thomas Walter Harding, who was Lord Mayor 1898-9.

The Black Prince was Edward of Woodstock, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Prince of Aquitaine. He was born at Woodstock Palace in Oxfordshire and was the eldest son of King Edward III of England and Philippa of Hainault, and father to King Richard II of England.

Click to enlargeThe Leeds War Memorial, topped by the Angel of Peace bronze statue.
[click image to enlarge]
The statue is the the work of Ian Judd, a Leeds sculptor. This replaced the original statue "Winged Victory" by Henry Charles Fehr (1867-1940) that was damaged in a storm in 1965 and removed. Originally sited in City Square, a changed traffic layout resulted in the memorial being moved in 1937 to its present location in Victoria Gardens on the Headrow.
Click to enlargeEastgate Fountain, Leeds.
[April 2017]
 
Click to enlargeThe Black Prince was called Edward of Woodstock after his birthplace, and later became known as the Black Prince, perhaps because of the black armour that he wore. An exceptional military leader, his victories over the French at Crécy and Poitiers made him very popular. In 1348 he became the first Knight of the Garter, of whose Order he was one of the founders.

Edward died one year before his father, becoming the first English Prince of Wales not to become King of England. The throne passed, instead, to his son Richard II, a minor, upon the death of Edward III.

Click to enlarge.The Leeds General Infirmary. The hospital moved here from Infirmary Street in 1869. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and incorporated ideas by Florence Nightingale. New wings have since been added and the hospital is now known officially as the General Infirmary at Leeds, but more usually referred to as the Leeds General Infirmary or LGI. [17 Mar 2004]

Squire Charles Waterton's one-time friend, Dr. Richard Hobson, was Honorary Physician at the Leeds General Infirmary from 1832 to 1839.

Click to enlargeThe Tower Works is a disused factory notable for its three listed towers. It is located on Globe Road in Holbeck, Leeds, near the main railway line and Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
[Photograph David Hoggarth]
More about the Tower Works ....
Click to enlarge.The Sikh Temple (Gurdwara) & Centre, Brandon Way, off Chapeltown Road. The temple is open to everyone because in Sikhism everyone is equal. [2014]
See also Leodis, a photographic archive of Leeds.

Click to enlarge.ASDA - more than just an Associated Dairies Milk Churn. (A potted version)

In the beginning

THE ASQUITHS - The Asquith family were butchers based in Knottingley, Wakefield District, West Yorkshire.
In the 1920s, they expanded their business to seven butchers shops in the area. Some years later, Peter and Fred Asquith became founding members of ASDA.

ASSOCIATED DAIRIES - Around the same time, a group of West Riding dairy farmers, including the Stockdale family and Craven Dairies, joined together under the banner of J.W Hindell Dairy Farmers Ltd.
In 1949, this company became Associated Dairies and Farm Stores Ltd, with Arthur Stockdale as the managing director.

The supermarkets

In 1963, the Asquith brothers converted the old Queens cinema in Castleford, Wakefield District, into a self-service supermarket. Another soon followed in the old indoor market at Edlington, near Doncaster. Both stores traded under the name of 'Queens'. Their next store was a purpose-built supermarket in South Elmsall, also in the Wakefield District, on the site of the old Palace cinema.

The merger and birth of ASDA

In 1964, the Asquith brothers approached Associated Dairies to run the butchery departments within their small store chain. Peter Asquith had bold retailing ideas but insufficient capital to develop them. So they joined together with Noel Stockdale*, Arthur Stockdale's son, to form a new company, Asquith + Dairies = Asda (Later 'ASDA').

To cut a long story short

After growth and then some turbulence, ASDA, which at the time owned 229 stores, was purchased by Walmart on 26 July 1999 for £6.7 billion, beating a rival bid from Kingfisher plc.

(*Sir Noel Stockdale was vice-chairman of Associated Dairies. He died in 2004, aged 83. He was chairman of ASDA from 1969 to 1986 and later life president. Apart from being a founder of ASDA and pioneer of grocery superstores in Britain, he had served his country in the RAF during the Second World War.)

Sources:
Daily Telegraph, 09 Feb 2004, Obituary of Sir Noel Stockdale. [Link accessed 25 May 2016]
Wikipedia, Asda. [Link accessed 25 May 2016]





LEEDS - MAIN PAGE
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |