Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton's Neighbours
| Walton's Neighbours |
NOSTELL PRIORY
Site Main Menu

In the Neighbours section

West Yorkshire (Wakefield) Anglers Country Park
Calder Wetlands
Chevet
Crofton
Featherstone
Felkirk
Hare Park Junction
Horbury Lagoons
Newmillerdam
Normanton
Nostell Priory
Oakenshaw Colliery, Crofton
Old Royston
Pugneys Country Park
Ryhill
Sandal Magna
Wakefield
Yorkshire Sculpture Park

West Yorkshire (other)
Idle
Leeds

North Yorkshire
Kellingley Colliery

South Yorkshire
Barnsley
Monckton Main & Royston Drift Mines
Rabbit Ings
Sheffield


Overtown.org.uk

 

Click to enlargeA colour print of the priory, published in 1880. Nostell Priory
(The Priory Church of Saint Oswald, Nostell)
The priory was an Augustinian Canons Regular community,
founded c.1114 by Robert de Lacy; it was transferred to a new site before 1120 (possibly not occupied until 1122).
It was dissolved 1539 (1540) and granted to Thomas Leigh 1539/40.
The site now is now occupied by the mansion named 'Nostell Priory'.

Woodkirk Priory (Widkirk)
Location: Dewsbury Road, Woodkirk.
This was an Augustinian Canons Regular cell dependent on Nostell;
founded 1138-47 (before 1135) by William de Warenne and others, who granted chapel of St Mary to Nostell; dissolved 1539 (1540); granted to George Talbot and Robert Savill.

Source: Article Id: WHEBN0000142591.
World Heritage Encyclopedia
. Web site accessed 22 Jan 2017.
Project Gutenburg Self-Publishing Press.
List of monastic houses in the East Riding of Yorkshire, List of monastic houses in North Yorkshire, St Dominic's Priory Church, Architecture of England, Edwardian architecture.

Click to enlarge.Nostell, Long Row. Colliers' cottages, dating from around the 1860s. They belonged to the Winns of Nostell Priory. The colliery itself had been enlarged about this time. (1) Nostell Colliery Unit Pit Check..Nostell Colliery Unit pit check. A blank, unissued check, pre-nationalisation.
Click to enlarge.Nostell Railway Station was opened in 1866 and was used by the Great Northern Railway and the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway on the line from Doncaster to Wakefield (now the East Coast Mainline). The station closed in 1951 and has been demolished. To the left of the station staff is an advertisement for Pears Soap, "Matchless for the Complexion".
See also Geograph.
 
   

Notes & Sources

1. West Yorkshire Coalfield, John Goodchild.The History Press Ltd., first edition, 1st July 2000).





Nostell Priory
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |