Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton's Neighbours
| Walton's Neighbours |
RYHILL (Wakefield District, West Yorkshire)
Site Main Menu

Overtown.org.uk
Click to enlargeSt. Paul's Methodist Church on the corner of Mill Lane and Chapel St. The church is in the Barnsley Methodist Circuit.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlargeThe somewhat eroded inscription reads : "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, opened 30th May 1907".
[05 Jun 2014].
Click to enlargeAnother inscription at St. Paul's: "Come children seek your Father's Face, Through Christ the living way. Come boldly to a throne of grace, And without ceasing pray. Anno Domini 1828". Underneath: "Removed here 1907".
[05 Jun 2014].
Click to enlargeMill Lane, Ryhill.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlargeThe Old Chapel in Mill Lane, just across the road from St. Paul's.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlargeA "happy shop" in Mill Lane.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlargeThe City of Wakefield viewed from Ryhill.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlargeThe official launcing of Ryhill in History on 13th November 1981.
Click to enlargeView from Ryhill Park, Monckton Works and Rabbit Ings Country Park is on the horizon behind the trees.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlarge.Ryhill Stray and Park.
both have benefited from local initiatives.
[05 Jun 2014]
Click to enlarge.Ryhill from Chevet Lane. [2013] Click to enlarge.Ryhill railway station served the Barnsley Coal Railway, later the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&L), Great Central and London and North Eastern Railway (LNER). The station opened for passenger traffic on 1 September 1882. It was renamed Ryhill and Wintersett on 1 March 1927 and closed by the LNER on 22 February 1930. The station consisted of two flanking wooden platforms with wooden buildings, the main buildings being on the Barnsley bound side, and a signal box just off the end of the Barnsley - bound platform. The platforms were linked by a standard footbridge. The station was located by the junction of Ferry Top, Station Road and Pits Lane. Another station, Ryhill Halt, served the village on the Dearne Valley Railway from 1912 to 1951, about half a mile to the south east.
[Sources include Wikipedia, accessed 20 Nov 2015.]


Ryhill in History Vol. 1
Ryhill In History Volume One
Stella M. Hutchings,
G. A. Penn,
John Goodchild,
R. Benton,
P. Andrews.
Published 1981 by
Ryhill Parish Council
& City of Wakefield
Metropolitan
District Council
.

A History of Ryhill, Vol. 2
A History Of Ryhill Volume Two
Jack McGillivray.
Published 1989 by
Ryhill Parish Council.




RYHILL (Wakefield District, West Yorkshire)
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |