Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....

Search provided by freefind
Walton's Neighbours
| Walton's Neighbours | Wakefield | Wakefield Views |
WAKEFIELD VIEWS, PAGE 5 - City Views (North)
| Page 1 - Civic Quarter | Page 2 - Westgate Yards & Courts | Page 3 - Kirkgate | Page 4 The Bull Ring, The Springs and area |
| Page 5 City Views (North) | Page 6 - City Views (South) | Page 7 - City Views (West) | Page 8 - Wakefield Eastern Relief Road |
Fleur de Lys
Site Main Menu
In the Neighbours/Wakefield section
City of Wakefield Main Page
Wakefield Views
Calder Soap Works
Cathedral
Chantry Chapel
Elizabethan Gallery
Jolly Pinder
Kirkgate Railway Station
Rhyming Heritage
Robin Hood
Wakefield Waterfront
Around the District


See also

Fall Ings Lock
Calder & Hebble
Aire & Calder


Overtown.org.uk

Click to enlargeClayton Hospital

The oldest part of the present building was opened on 30th July 1879, profiting from various benefactors including Thomas Clayton who left a will providing money for an earlier dispensary which had latterly been off Northgate.
Two further wings were added in 1900 and 1932. Information from Wakefield Historical Society. (1)
[3rd July 2012]

Click to enlargeThe lion at Clayton Hospital.

© John S. Sargent 6th March 2009.

Click to enlarge.Clayton Hospital circa 1904. [old postcard] Click to enlargeClayton Hospital in 1908.
Click to enlargeThe War Memorial Nurse Hostel, opened by HRH Princess Mary, Viscountess Lascelles, on 14th November 1923.
Click to enlargeThe Bishop's Palace in Bishopgarth. Once the residence of the Bishop of Wakefield, it is now a training centre for the West Yorkshire Police (more about Bishopgarth). The first occupant of the building was William Walsham How. The foundation stone was laid on the 24th October, 1891, and Bishop How took up residence in 1893. How was the first bishop of Wakefield.
'Garth', Middle English (also, in early use, denoting a hollow): from Old Norse 'garthr'; denotes an open space surrounded by cloisters, or a yard or garden. (Oxford Dictionaries). Still in use in Yorkshire for place and street names, etc.
[old postcard]
Click to enlarge.Pinderfields Hospital, Wakefield, viewed from Highfield, Walton. [2014]

Click to enlargeThe Pinder of Wakefield was the keeper of the pound or pinfold for stray cattle on the Town Green. The Pinder's Green or Field is now the area known as Pinderfields.

Read more about the Jolly Pinder and his friend Robin Hood.
© John S. Sargent 7th June 2010.

■ On This Spot, Then and Now. More pictures of Wakefield. (external link)  





Wakefield and Wool, John Goodchild, 1981.
Wakefield and Wool,
John Goodchild, 1981.
Wakefield Historical
Publications.
ISBN 0 901869 10 4
WAKEFIELD VIEWS, PAGE 5 - City Views (North)
|^top | Page 1 - Civic Quarter | Page 2 - Westgate Yards & Courts | Page 3 - Kirkgate | Page 4 The Bull Ring, The Springs and area |
| Page 5 City Views (North) | Page 6 - City Views (South) | Page 7 - City Views (West) | Page 8 - Wakefield Eastern Relief Road |


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2017.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |