Site Home What's On
Wakefield City Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General Charles Waterton Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Nevison the Highwayman
 Nevison Main Page
NEVISON'S LEAP AT PONTEFRACT

 Navigate the principal Nevison Highwayman pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Nevison Leaping. Nevison's Leap
Nevison's Leap is a deep cutting through which now runs Ferrybridge Road on the outskirts of Pontefract (old name 'Pomfret'), not far from Monkhill Railway Station and Old Hall Farm. One side of the cutting has been levelled and houses built upon it. The road is wider now than in Nevison's day.

According to legend, William Nevison was being pursued by constables, he spurred his horse on to make the jump and made a spectacular escape. The spot has borne his name ever since, although the name does not appear on any map.

The Prince of Wales' Working Men's Club is situated above the cutting on the right. Nevison Avenue and Nevison, a district of Pontefract, are named after the highwayman.

Nevison's Leap, click to enlarge.Nevison's Leap, Ferrybridge Road, Pontefract - direction Ferrybridge. The pub bearing Nevison's name is further on up the road on the brow of the hill. The commemorative blue plaque is located on the cutting face, roughly opposite the first car. [August 2002]

Nevison's Leap, click to enlarge.Nevison's Leap, Ferrybridge Road, direction Pontefract Nevison's leap, Ferrybridge Road, Pontefract.

The Prince of Wales' Working Men's Club is above the cutting on the left.
[August 2002]

The Nevison Leap Hotel, click to enlarge. The Nevison Leap Hotel is situated at the top of the hill not far from the site of Nevison's Leap. The picture was taken from the general direction of the cutting. [August 2002]

Great War tank, click to enlarge. Faded Memories
This First World War tank (No. 289) was presented to the town of Pontefract in 1919 in recognition of local fund raising activities in the Great War. However, it did not remain intact for long and was partially cut up for scrap in 1924. In 1934 it was removed from Pontefract Castle to Nevison's Leap. It remained there for some years but has now dissappeared.



 Visit the Bookshelf.

OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© J. S. Sargent, 1997 - 2018.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Nevison the Highwayman>