Site Home What's On
Wakefield City Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General Charles Waterton Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Barnsley Canal
Barnsley Canal Main Page
BARNSLEY CANAL - HEATH COMMON

 Navigate the Barnsley Canal pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right. The principal pages are listed north to south from the River Calder to Barnsley.



Click to enlarge

Lock No. 1 - Then (back in nineteen canteen) ....
The Barnsley Canal ran north to south from Wakefield to Barnsley, and then west to Barnby Basin., starting from its junction with the Aire and Calder Navigation at Heath Lock, near Fall Ings Lock, Wakefield. The first half mile of the canal is infilled and crosses private land where a power station had been built after the closure of the canal. The power station has been demolished. The entrance to the Barnsley Canal seen from the River Calder, east of Wakefield. The entrance to the former lock can be seen to the right. To the left is the Oakenshaw Beck, which originally formed the first part of the canal.

This page covers the section of the canal from Lock 1, where the canal joins the Aire & Calder Navigation* on the River Calder, to Doncaster Road (A638) at Heath Common. There are few traces left of the canal and the power station that was built upon much of this section, has now also gone. (* The canal was once part of the Aire & Calder Navigation system.) Wakefield power station consisted of two units, A and B. What became Wakefield A was constructed before World War II. Wakefield B was constructed between 1955 and 1957.
At one time, coal from Walton Colliery was used to provide fuel for the power station. The power station was closed down in 1991 and demolished in 1994. In addition to Lock 1 at the junction with the river, there were two more locks in this section, one each side of Doncaster Road. The first sod was ceremonially cut at Heath in 1793. The original depth of the canal was 5 feet, later the depth was increased to 7 feet. The extra depth was achieved by increasing the height of the banks and bridges. The enlarged canal could accommodate billy boys*, coastal vessels and other large boats.
In 1816, the original cut along Oakenshaw Beck was replaced by a broader, deeper canal to the west of the beck with a new lock at Heath by the River Calder to replace the lock situated further inland.

(* A billy boy is a flat-bottomed vessel with a full broad bow ('bluff-bowed'), rigged as a sloop, with a mast that can be lowered to enable the boat to pass under bridges.)


■ Click here for a diagram of the canal route.

Click to enlarge

1. Lock 1: A few traces remain near the river. September 2010.
Click to enlarge
2. The River Calder and Lock 1 of the Barnsley Canal.
The remains of the old lock viewed from the
Wakefield Eastern Relief Road (A6194).
[2017]
Click to enlarge.
3. The entrance to the Barnsley Canal viewed from the bank of the River Calder.
[September 2010]
Click to enlarge
4. Oakenshaw Beck joins the River Calder alongside the remains of Lock No. 1. The beck flows into the River Calder from Crofton above Walton Colliery Nature Park, passing by Agbrigg and crossing Doncaster Road (A638) en route. Bull Bridge Dike which flows northwards through Greenside joins the beck to the west of Oakenshaw Lane.
[September 2010]


Click to enlarge
5. Not quite gone, some remains of the lock and adjacent area, photographed by Roo Holman, 2013.
Click to enlarge

6. The canal has gone but there is still plenty of water about in the area where the old canal was and where the Oakenshaw Beck still drains off into the River Calder.
[Photo courtesy Roo Holman, 2013]
Click to enlarge
7. Relics of another age, lock 1 area.
[Roo Holman, 2013]
Click to enlarge
8. Slip-sliding away, Lock 1 area.
[Roo Holman, 2013]


Click to enlarge
9. The River Calder at Heath by the entrance to the Barnsley Canal (Lock 1). Heath Old Hall is in the distance.
[early postcard]
Click to enlarge
10. Heath Old Hall. Former occupants include Benedictine Nuns, in residence until 1821. The hall was demolished in the 20th century. Find out more about the nuns at St. Austin's Online.
[early postcard]
Click to enlarge
11. Another view of the River Calder with Heath Old Hall in the distance.
[early postcard]
Click to enlarge
12. Heath Bridge over the Barnsley Canal, circa 1904.
[old postcard]




Click to enlarge
13. Heath Bridge over the Barnsley Canal, circa 1904.
[old postcard]
Click to enlarge
14. Dame Mary Bolle's Water Tower, built in the 17th century. It was built above a spring and pumped water to nearby Heath Old Hall. Find out more at the British Water Tower Appreciation Society.
Site accessed 8th August 2018.
Click to enlarge
15. The King's Arms, Heath. Take a break whilst exploring the surrounding area. Alternatively, you could try the Heath Tea Rooms in the King's Arms Cottage.
[2010]
Click to enlarge
16. Heath Common along the route of the canal photographed from the Trans Pennine Trail near the Heath Common Travellers' Site. The canal has long gone.
July 2010.
[2010]


Click to enlarge
17. The canal route looking south towards Doncaster Road. Once used by the Aire & Calder Navigation Company, Ivy House and the Blacksmith's Workshop can be seen on the southern side of the road.
[July 2010]

18. Looking northwards from Doncaster Road - then. The canal between the Doncaster Road Bridge and Lock No. 2. Believed to have been photographed circa 1905.
Click to enlarge
19. Looking northwards from Doncaster Road - now. Much has changed, but the building in the earlier photograph (left) is still there.
[July 2010]
Click to enlarge
20. This is the area where the canal crossed Doncaster Road. The canal was filled in and the road bridge levelled some time ago. The entrance to the now demolished power station is to the right of the red brick building. The railway line is still in use.
[2010]
Click to enlarge
21. Ivy House and Blacksmith's Workshop, Agbrigg. Ivy House was a shop, bank and boat dues collection point on the Barnsley Canal. The house was built circa 1792, and the cottages in the early 18th century with the mill and blacksmith's workshop added in the 19th century. Barges coming through the lock (no. 3) from Goole to Barnsley paid their dues here.
[July 2010]
The Jolly Sailor inn was situated in this area of Agbrigg at the bottom of the common. Opposite it was Ivy House (see previous photograph). There is more about Ivy House, the Jolly Sailor, and some of the locals, including photographs, in Sandal Magna - Another Look Back by Mary Ingham and Barbara Andrassy, 1983.
The English Flag - The Cross of St George
Part of our English Heritage
Ivy House and the Blacksmith's Workshop are included on
Images of England
IoE Number: 342454
Location: IVY HOUSE AND BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP, 240 DONCASTER ROAD,   CROFTON, WAKEFIELD, WEST YORKSHIRE. Grade II Listed Building.
Click to enlarge
22. An albumen print possibly taken in the 1880s.
The albumen print (or albumen silver print) was invented in 1850 by Louis Désiré Blanquart-Evrard, and was the first commercially exploitable method of producing a photographic print on a paper base from a negative. It used the albumen found in egg whites to bind the photographic chemicals to the paper. It became the principal form of producing photographic positive prints from 1855 to the turn of the 20th century. (Source Wikipedia, 09 Mar 2015).




Click to enlarge
23. Another albumen, this time a print taken of a canal or navigation in the Wakefield area.

Books about Walton, Charles Waterton, Guyana, and more!
See a selection of
books about Walton,
Charles Waterton,
Guyana and more.
• click here •
(Offered for sale by
Amazon.co.uk)
Unless otherwise stated all photographs are
Copyright © John S. Sargent.

Sources include
the invaluable publication: "The Barnsley Canal - a Forgotten Waterway?" by the Barnsley Canal Group, 2nd revised edition May 1988.
Sandal Magna - Another Look Back by Mary Ingham and Barbara Andrassy, 1983.
Visit the Bookshelf.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© J. S. Sargent, 1997 - 2018.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Barnsley Cana Main Page.