Overtown Miscellany at overtown.org.uk
Walton - Wakefield - West Yorkshire
Squire Charles Waterton the Naturalist
and more ....
Walton's Neighbours
| Walton's Neighbours |
YORKSHIRE SCULPTURE PARK (YSP West Bretton, near Wakefield)
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Site Main Menu

In the Neighbours section

West Yorkshire (Wakefield) Anglers Country Park
Calder Wetlands
Chevet
Crofton
Featherstone
Felkirk
Hare Park Junction
Horbury Lagoons
Newmillerdam
Normanton
Nostell Priory
Oakenshaw Colliery, Crofton
Old Royston
Pugneys Country Park
Ryhill
Sandal Magna
Wakefield
Yorkshire Sculpture Park

West Yorkshire (other)
Idle
Leeds

North Yorkshire
Kellingley Colliery

South Yorkshire
Barnsley
Monckton Main & Royston Drift Mines
Rabbit Ings
Sheffield


Overtown.org.uk

Click to enlargePoppies: Wave. On display from 05/09/2015 - 10/01/2016.
Rising up from the Lower Lake and reaching over the Park’s historic Cascade Bridge, Wave is a sweeping arch of bright red poppy heads suspended on towering stalks.
Created by artist Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper.
[Photographed 2016]

Click to enlargeWave viewed from the north bank. With a few days left to go, it was proving to be a popular attraction at the YSP.

Wave was on display from 5th September 2015 until 10th January 2016. It was presented by 14-18 NOW and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park as part of a nationwide tour featuring the iconic poppy sculptures.
[2016]

Click to enlargeClose-up view of the poppies.
[2016]
Click to enlargeWave viewed from the south. [2016]
Click to enlargeWave viewed from the north. [2016]
Click to enlargePelvis,
a sculpture by Not Vital at Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
[Nick Lyons, 2017]
 
Click to enlargeBretton Hall, once a country house, is a Grade II* listed building.

In the 14th century the Bretton estate was owned by the Dronsfields and passed by marriage to the Wentworths in 1407.
King Henry VIII spent three nights in the old hall and furnishings, draperies and panelling from his bedroom were moved to the new hall.
A hall is marked on Christopher Saxton's 1577 map of Yorkshire.
The present building was designed and built around 1720 by its owner, Sir William Wentworth assisted by James Moyser to replace the earlier hall. In 1792 it passed into the Beaumont family, (latterly Barons and Viscounts Allendale), and the library and dining room were remodelled by John Carr in 1793.
Monumental stables designed by George Basevi were built between 1842 and 1852. The hall was sold to the West Riding County Council in 1947.
Before the sale, the panelling of the "Henry VIII parlour" (preserved from the earlier hall) was given to Leeds City Council and moved to Temple Newsam house.
The hall housed Bretton Hall College from 1949 until 2001 and was a campus of the University of Leeds from 2001 to 2007.
Planning permission was granted in 2014 to convert the hall into a hotel and spa with conference facilities.

Information from
Bretton Hall, West Yorkshire
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[Photograph, Nick Lyons, 2017]

More to come in the fullness of time.
 

 





YORKSHIRE SCULPTURE PARK (West Bretton)
^top


Smart Web Hosting
No Limits cPanel Web Hosting - No Contracts or Set-up Fees - 24/7 UK Support
30 Day Money-Back Guarantee


OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)
 © John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2018.
 All rights reserved.

 | About this site | Contact webmaster |