Site Home What's On
Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield City Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General Charles Waterton Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - City of Wakefield
 search engine by freefind 
City of Wakefield Main Page
WAKEFIELD VIEWS, PAGE 1 - CIVIC QUARTER & adjacent areas
Wakefield Views Gallery
• 1 Civic Quarter • 2 Westgate Yards & Courts • 3 Kirkgate •  4 Bull Ring, Springs & other central areas • 5 City Views (North) • 6 City Views (South) • 7 City Views (West) • 8 Wakefield Eastern Relief Road

 Navigate the principal Wakefield City pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Click to enlargeWakefield Civic Quarter as shown in the Wakefield Civic Quarter Proposed Master Plan (Wakefield Civic Quarter Exhibition 2012).
Click image to enlarge.
■ View document (PDF).
■ Visit Wakefield Metropolitan District Council website. [Try searching for 'Civic Quarter'.]
■ Visit Wakefield First. [Site accessed 9th September 2018.]

The Civic Quarter is located in the core of the historic city centre.
Three key principles influence the role of the area:
• Key location of prominent civic and listed buildings, formal gardens, public spaces, civic statues and monuments;
• The principal uses are institutional, professional and business services;
• The area is a Conservation Area, and any proposals will need to preserve the special architectural and historic character of the area.
Source: Wakefield Civic Quarter Exhibition 2012.


Click to enlargeCounty Hall, Wakefield. View of the Cliff Parade side of the building. County Hall was built in 1898 to be the headquarters of West Riding County Council
and continued in that role from 1898 until the County Council was abolished in 1974.

In 1974 County Hall was inherited by the newly created West Yorkshire Metropolitan County Council, serving as its headquarters
until that County Council was in turn abolished in 1986.

The City of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council acquired the building in December 1987.


Click to enlargeThe Tammy Hall. In the eighteenth century Wakefield was a major centre for the wool trade.

Raw wool, as well as finished cloth, was sold here. In 1777 a cloth hall was built here for the sale of Tammies, or worsted cloths.
By the latter part of the nineteenth century it had fallen into disuse and was acquired by Wakefield Corporation.

A part of the hall was demolished to make way for the town hall.
The Back Lane end was converted into a police station and what was left at the farther end became the headquarters of the Wakefield Fire Brigade.
Sculptures over the doorways depict its functions. It now houses the Wakefield and Pontefract Magistrates' Court.
Source: Wakefield Civic Society, (Blue Plaque No. 5 Tammy Hall).
[Site accessed 9th September 2018.]


Click to enlargeTammy Hall viewed from Cliff Parade.
More photographs:
■ Close-up of the blue plaque.
■ Close-up of the sculpture of a fireman above the door.


Click on the pictures to enlarge.



■ On This Spot, Then and Now. More pictures of Wakefield. [Site accessed 8th September 2018.]






Wakefield and Wool, John Goodchild, 1981.
Wakefield and Wool,
John Goodchild, 1981.
Wakefield Historical
Publications.
ISBN 0 901869 10 4









OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© John S. Sargent, 1997 - 2020.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Wakefield City