Site Home What's On
Wakefield City Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General Charles Waterton Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Wakefield District
■ Wakefield District Main Page
RYHILL

 Navigate the principal Wakefield District pages by using the 'Related Pages' menu on the right.


Click to enlargeRyhill is a small village and civil parish (1) situated on the B6428 road in the Wakefield Metropolitan District of West Yorkshire, England approximately 7 miles (11 km) south east of the city of Wakefield.

In common with some of the other villages in the area, it is still recovering from the effects of pit closures which has seen the demise of the many collieries which once surrounded the village.

The first known mention of Ryhill in recorded history is an entry in the 1086 Domesday Book which describes 'Rihella' as having 4 ploughlands and an area of pasturable woodland.

The name "Ryhill" itself is almost self-explanatory: it simply means "hill where rye is grown". (2)

Click to enlarge.
St. Paul's Methodist Church on the corner of Mill Lane and Chapel St. The church is in the Barnsley Methodist Circuit.
[June 2014]

 

Click to enlarge
The Old Chapel in Mill Lane, just across the road from St. Paul's.
[05 Jun 2014]

Click to enlarge.
A "happy shop" in Mill Lane.
[June 2014]



Click to enlarge.
The somewhat eroded inscription reads : "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, opened 30th May 1907".

[June 2014]

 

Click to enlarge.
The City of Wakefield viewed from Ryhill.
[June 2014]

Click to enlarge.
Ryhill from Chevet Lane.
[2013]


Click to enlarge.
"Come children seek your Father's Face. Through Christ the living way. Come boldly to a throne of grace, And without ceasing pray. Anno Domini 1828". Underneath: "Removed here 1907".

[June 2014].

Click to enlarge.
View from Ryhill Park, Monckton Works and Rabbit Ings Country Park are on the horizon behind the trees.
[June 2014]

Click to enlarge.
The official launcing of Ryhill in History
on 13th November 1981.

Click to enlarge.
Mill Lane, Ryhill.

[05 Jun 2014]

 

Click to enlarge.
Ryhill Stray and Park.
both have benefited from local initiatives.
[June 2014]

Ryhill in History Vol. 1
Ryhill In History Volume One
Stella M. Hutchings, G. A. Penn,
John Goodchild, R. Benton,
P. Andrews.
Published 1981 by Ryhill Parish Council
& City of Wakefield
Metropolitan District Counc
il.

A History of Ryhill, Vol. 2
A History Of Ryhill Volume Two
Jack McGillivray.
Published 1989 by
Ryhill Parish Council.

Search Amazon.co.uk

Click to enlarge Ryhill railway station served the Barnsley Coal Railway, later the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&L), Great Central and London and North Eastern Railway (LNER).

The station opened for passenger traffic on 1 September 1882. It was renamed Ryhill and Wintersett on 1 March 1927 and closed by the LNER on 22 February 1930.

The station consisted of two flanking wooden platforms with wooden buildings, the main buildings being on the Barnsley bound side, and a signal box just off the end of the Barnsley - bound platform.
The platforms were linked by a standard footbridge. The station was located by the junction of Ferry Top, Station Road and Pits Lane.

Another station, Ryhill Halt, served the village on the Dearne Valley Railway from 1912 to 1951, about half a mile to the south east.
[Sources include Ryhill Station on Wikipedia, accessed 20 Nov 2015.]


Notes & Sources

1. Map of Wakefield District civil parishes.
2. Ryhill (Wikipedia).


 Visit the Bookshelf.

OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© J. S. Sargent, 1997 - 2019.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Wakefield District