Site Home What's On
Wakefield City Sandal Magna Battle of Wakefield Nevison The Highwayman Wakefield District Further Afield
Links - General Charles Waterton Book Shelf
Overtown Miscellany - Walton
WaltonAround the VillageWalton Colliery Nature Park Main Page
WALTON COLLIERY - THE PIT, Page 2
Gallery Pages
• 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6

Click to enlarge

This Lancashire Dynamo & Crypto (LDC) badge was from alternator No. 2 in the power house. Both turbines in the power house were Bellis & Morcom, but the alternators they drove were from two different suppliers: No.1 (supplied c.1923) was English Electric; No.2 (supplied c.1940) was LDC.
All of the electric winder apparatus was English Electric.
(Above information courtesy of Nick Lyons.)

~~~

Click to enlargeBlue Peter
This unique original black and white photograph of LNER Steam Locomotive Blue Peter (LNER Peppercorn Class A2 60532 built Doncaster 1948 ) was taken at Walton Colliery in the 1970s. In August 1974 the Blue Peter and another large steam locomotive, the Bittern (LNER Class A4 4464 built Doncaster 1937), were housed at the colliery from August 1974 before being removed to the Glossop Railway Museum in January 1979.
Find out more about the Blue Peter at North Eastern Locomotive Preservation Group.
(Photograph © B.G. Dixon).

Click to enlargeThis is the Blue Peter in action.
Click on the photograph to enlarge.

■ Click here to see Blue Peter in glorious colour.

Click to enlargeThis shunting engine was photographed in the 1960s at Walton Colliery.

Click to enlargeThe colliery still in operation - this is 1965. Photo taken from the 10.00 Birmingham - Leeds express passing West Riding Junction. 1st August 1965. This excellent picture of the colliery was taken by Bill Wright (visit barkingbill on Flickr).
Picture shows the view across the pit towards Crofton in the distance. Woodyard Cottages are to the front of the pit and the Spike (Ings Cottages) behind it. The line of trees to the left of the stone cottages (Woodyard) denotes the course of the Barnsley Canal. This stretch is still in water and is used by anglers. The bridge to the right of the picture was for the canal, it is no longer there.

The train from which the photograph was taken would be on the old Midland Line that connected to the East Coast Line (Doncaster - Leeds) via Sandal Curves at West Riding Junction, with the main track continuing to Oakenshaw Junction and beyond. The railway line in front of the pit is the East Coast Line to Wakefield Westgate and Leeds and passes underneath the track being travelled on by the photographer. In the distance, another spoil heap is visible.

Click to enlargeWalton Colliery, now closed, but the abandoned buildings and equipment were still there on the 29th March 1980.

Click to enlargeThe pit bank. In the background is a duplex winch by John Mills of Llanidloes.
I believe this is now on display at the National Mining Museum for England at Caphouse Colliery.
[Wednesday, 4 June 1980]
[© Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.]
■ See Nick Lyons photograph on page 1.

Click to enlargeLocally, this was called the 'White Bridge', a footpath from the nature park passes through this bridge and then through another to Doncaster Road. The first bridge carries a freight line between Wakefield and Hare Park Junction, the second carries a passenger line between Wakefield and Streethouse.
[22 Sep 2011]

••••••••••••
Click on the photographs to enlarge.



OVERTOWN MISCELLANY (overtown.org.uk)  
© J. S. Sargent, 1997 - 2019.  All rights reserved.  
• About this site  • Contact  
Walton near Wakefield, West Yorkshire.